- Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:38 am
#49390
Cool, that looks like it's probably a sermon record, usually they are 30-40 minute sermon recordings where the choir sings 1-2 minute spirituals a couple of times during the sermon.
I actually saw a whole lot of these in Shreveport this week. Shreveport is the home of the former Stan's Records. Stan Lewis also founded & ran a record label, Jewel Records, which also had imprints Ronn Records and Paula Records. Stan had business dealings with the Chess brothers (distributing their releases to independent record stores), and he also wrote & produced for a *very* impressive list of musicians...Stan's name turns up in biographies for everyone from Elvis to John Lee Hooker, Aretha, Memphis Slim, Fats Domino, Bobby Charles and so many others. To me, he is a legend in American music, and the significance of his contributions are underappreciated.
Anyway...I digress... Jewel had a Sermon series, so Shreveport is a good place to hunt for these. I saw about twenty different sealed original copies of black sermon albums on the Jewel label this week, but I passed on them at fifteen a pop, though I regret not grabbing at least two or three which had some really cool jackets.