Talk about films scores here.

Moderators: lazyben, static14, texasvinyl

User avatar
By static14
#30794
Not vinyl sure, but fantastic none the less.

User avatar
By texasvinyl
#30795
Why stop the Jerry-a-thon? You guys just scratched the surface. I can set the bar pretty low with this one. What would Superman sound like if Goldsmith did the score? I think we know...

User avatar
By tim28212
#30796
sounds good to me @static, I picked Goldsmith so you or someone else can pick the next :)
User avatar
By texasvinyl
#30797
Supergirl score has some definite cheese parts but was better than I remember. It's been a while since I pulled that one out.

Keeping with the Jerry-a-thon theme is 1973's Papillon, Goldsmith's first-rate score for director Frank Schaffner. This jacket also has the biggest hole punch I've ever seen on an LP..

User avatar
By texasvinyl
#30798
This next one might be my favorite Goldsmith work. I mentioned in another thread that I am fascinated by soundtracks because they are a form of music that capture emotion, feeling and ideas in sound--what does an alien invasion sound like? What does space sound like? How should evil sound? Goldsmith is skilled in this art, and his talent is especially evidenced in the score for Omen II. The use of Latin chant like the Ave Satani is a common theme throughout, and the evil themes are unrelenting. Highly recommended and arguably the best score of the three Goldsmith Omen scores, though he did win his only Oscar from the first movie.

User avatar
By tim28212
#30800
@texas, 2 excellent scores!
User avatar
By tonyandrewgiles
#30802
@tim, @static, @texas - I'm down for that 100% :)
By DISCOSUCKS...
#30803
Fellas -- can I throw in a vote for John Barry maybe? I've been thinking he doesn't get much of a shout out round these parts....but I'm in, whatever! ;)
User avatar
By static14
#30806
John Barry sounds good to me!
User avatar
By tim28212
#30807
Barry sounds good to me. Unfortunately, I don't have much on vinyl but if need be I can spin a few of the silver discs.
User avatar
By soundtracks of fear
#30809
I'm in too, may have to dig deep into the collection though for this one.

*edit*
I must shamefully say I don't have any!
Recommend some guys and I'll listen :)
User avatar
By texasvinyl
#30810
Ahh, you guys are going to make me listen to John Barry all day aren't you... OK, I'm game for some spy tunes. OCTOPUSSY, featuring a god-awful Rita Coolidge theme song written by Barry. I do think he put out a few iconic Bond scores though. This one's a Japanese press, but they aren't as cool without the OBI strip. Who throws away the OBI? ::shakes fist at prior owner::

User avatar
By texasvinyl
#30811
OK, on to another Barry spy score. Thunderball is a must-have in any soundtrack collection. The score is dynamic, ranging from mysterious and exotic themes to soaring big band sound. Tom Jones apparently fainted in the studio after singing the long final note of the main theme.

This is a terrific candidate for a deluxe vinyl reissue. This original LP was used as a promo tool for the movie release and went into production before Barry completed the score, so about half of the cues including some really outstanding music are missing. There was a CD release, but to my knowledge the full score has yet to be released on vinyl. Great potential for new cover art too, though it would be very difficult to match the original which is just fantastic.

User avatar
By static14
#30812
I will be joining the party after the Jets game :) J-E-T-S, JETS, JETS, JETS!
User avatar
By texasvinyl
#30813
I am a Cowboys / UT Longhorns guy. It's gonna be a long season! UT just got destroyed by a not-great BYU, and I don't think anyone will be surprised when the Cowboys go 5-11 this year.


Apparently I have a bunch of John Barry James Bond soundtracks, so I'm going to continue this theme with The Living Daylights, the first of two Bond movies to star Timothy Dalton. Fittingly for the 80s, Barry introduces some pulsing synth elements to parts of the score like 'Necros Attacks' and the badass 'Ice Chase' while leaving other cues purely orchestral ('The Sniper Was a Woman,' 'Koskov Escapes' & 'Mujahadin and Opium').

User avatar
By texasvinyl
#30818
Jumping back a couple of decades, Goldfinger is the most iconic Bond score by any composer. The album hit #1 on the Billboard chart. The soundtrack is heavy on brass instruments. The best moment has to be the beginning to "Bond Back In Action Again" which set a high bar that hasn't been met again in a Bond film. A remastered version of the soundtrack is getting reissued this month to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the film.

By DISCOSUCKS...
#30825
Good lord - I was out hunting in the wild today, but didn't have to travel far. At the end of my street, the monthly record fair came to town in our local church hall, and I had an orgiastic spend on some crackers!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/97369522@N07/14982836209/
I love Rosza. This film is good!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97369522@N07/15146531276/
Finally!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97369522@N07/15166569311/
I love Sarde. I can't remember if this film is good! (Isn't it the one about the discovery of the Missionary Position??
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97369522@N07/15146533396/
I love Cooder. Haven't seen this film. Dang!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97369522@N07/14982840679/
One of today's big finds - waited and waited to find a cheap(ish) copy in good nick - £4!!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97369522@N07/15146535866/
I love Badalamenti. I'm pretty sure this isn't a good film, if memory serves.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/97369522@N07/14982997427/
And the other big score of the day - original Cinevox. Again, I waited and waited to get this, passed on the recent AMS reisssue cuz I just knew I'd snag one in the wild one day. Wasn't too cheap, but I got everything else for less than a tenner so it was worth it :) I could have easily taken another 10-15 choice LPs from the guy, but I've already spent a fortune this month on pre-orders of stuff from all the big OST enablers (OWS, DW, WW...)

Happy hunting, circle spinners!
User avatar
By tonyandrewgiles
#30826
Today's effort in the Barry-A-Thon





Then finished off with a little devil worship.
User avatar
By texasvinyl
#30827
This is the last Bond soundtrack I have from John Barry. This is perhaps an overlooked score from Barry. Some of the orchestral cues have held up rather well over time. I personally don't care for the interjection of electric guitar riffs into a few of the cues. The Duran Duran theme song is expectedly cheesy but stays in your head, and Barry revisits the theme with several flute-led orchestral versions throughout his score. I also just today noticed the prior owner's homemade censorship of Grace Jones on the front cover. Grace was just too sexy for him I guess! I wonder why she didn't sing the main theme instead of Duran Duran... Grace Jones kicks ass! Although I do think the Duran song charted at #1, so I guess it worked out at the time.

User avatar
By texasvinyl
#30828
Are you in Europe? Those look like glossy euro laminated covers. I need Moonraker! And that Coven LP rocks.
User avatar
By tonyandrewgiles
#30829
Howdy @Texas - I am indeed in Europe, England to be precise.

Considering how old the Barry albums are the sleeves still look awesome.

The Coven lp is a 2003 reissue with a gatefold sleeve, tons of cool stuff inside.
User avatar
By texasvinyl
#30830
I couldn't make it past the A side. Proof that they can't all be good... I'd avoid this one.

User avatar
By tim28212
#30833
@discosucks, great finds! I wish our record fairs had gems like those.

didn't know today was the Barry day but did manage to spin this to give it a listening grade, I have a fresh clean UK edition so this US is going.
  • 1
  • 93
  • 94
  • 95
  • 96
  • 97
  • 235